Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced that Jamaica now has 21 confirmed cases of Covid-19, adding “we are approaching the phase of community transmission. Usually, this is where there is an escalation in the number of cases.”
Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton said 14 were imported cases, six were in contact with the imported cases and one is still under investigation. “There have been 503 persons of interest from travel since January 31, 2020,” the Minister declared. He says 18 persons are in quarantine in a Government facility. Another 51 persons are in isolation in Government facilities
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced the following new policies:
-All persons 75 years and older will be required to stay home effective March 25, 2020, for a period of 14 days.
-Schools are to remain closed until the end of the Easter period.
-All public sector workers 65 years and older are to work from home effective March 25, 2020, for a period of fourteen (14) days.
-Everyone who entered Jamaica from March 18, 2020, must be in quarantine for a further fourteen days after the initial seven days expire.
-For a period of 14 days, effective March 25, 2020, gatherings in any place should not exceed ten persons. This will be strictly enforced.
-Requirement for work from home stands…this will be extended for another 14 days as of 25th March.
Ministry of Local Government & Community Development said that he have not forgotten the outdoor poor adding, “With immediate effect, they will receive daily care packages and two meals daily. They will also be accommodated at drop-in centres.”
Minister McKenzie also announced that restrictions will be placed on the operations of barbers and hairdressers and markets will continue to observe the 6:00 am to 2:00 pm hours previously announced.
The PM the stressed: “I want to emphasize that we are not shutting down the economy, and cargo remains unaffected by the closure of our borders. Persons seeking to LEAVE Jamaica are also unaffected.”